Friday, September 26, 2008

It really shouldn't hurt to be a child.

I was asked yesterday (pretty late) if I would go to Latacunga to the other home that For His Children runs. I have to admit I was pretty annoyed. I had lots of things to do today. Important stuff like laundry and catching up on cataloging and organizing photos! (note the sarcasm!)
But I did what I was told. I was not completely aware of what I was being asked to do.

So I got a ride with a friend and went down (2 hours) to Latacunga. When I got there I saw 4 little girls who are new to the home. Genesis 5 (and the oldest kid at FHCL) Alison 4, Brandy 2 and Andrea 2.
Genesis and Andrea are sisters and Alison and Brandy are sisters and neigbors with the other 2 girls.
The police came and removed these girls from their home (which NEVER happens here!) The girls had been left repeatedly by themselves from about 6 am until 6 pm locked inside a dark room that had an overwhelming stench. When the cops went to rescue the girls he found 2 of them screaming and one licking the floor. All four of them were starving and filthy. The two younger girls are not toilet trained and they were not wearing diapers.

The 4 girls were taken to FHCL on Wednesday. I was asked to go today to do the admittance forms of the girls. This is usually done at the moment of their arrival but no one could go yesterday and really, no one but me could go today. I brought the little girls into the office to take their photos and check for any signs of abuse (standard upon admittance of any child). I wasn't sure how I was going to put the girls at ease. Here I am a tall white strange lady getting all up in their business!
But all my years of child care and child protection came into play. God was definitely right by my side the whole time. I had just the right words to say to comfort them and I was able to get the necessary pictures for their documentation. I was devastated to find out that all four little girls has most definitely suffered physical abuse (besides the obvious neglect!) Two of them most likely have suffered sexual abuse. I don't need an MD to see those signs.
I kept a smile on my face as I finished up and when the Tia left with the girls I sat in the office and cried.
I felt terrible that my oh so important schedule almost kept me from meeting these 4 precious little miracles. I wanted to ask you guys to please pray for Genesis, Alison, Andrea, and Brandy. Only God knows what the future of these 4 dolls is going to be.
I stayed for a couple hours with all the children. By the end, Genesis gave me a big hug and asked when I was coming back to see her. She's been so hurt and yet she's still so trusting... amazing! I assured her I'd be back next week.

1 comment:

Tony Anzalone said...

We will be praying for those girls and for you. May God continue to open doors for your ministry and to guide you in every step you take.